LOCATION: Houston (TX)
Join one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers with several hospitals, a research institute, a global business division, numerous physician practices, several free-standing emergency rooms, and outpatient facilities located throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area, employing over 20,000 employees. Providing the best patient care and service in a spiritual environment along with lots of opportunities for career growth and advancement make this health system the ideal place to work!
Seeking a Medical Laboratory Scientist with experience in pathology/blood bank with one of the following certifications (ASCP, AMT, NCA). The Medical Laboratory Scientist is responsible for performing both routine and complex analyses, which necessitates knowledge of laboratory techniques, principles, and equipment and their interrelationship. Exercises good judgment by using critical thinking skills and deals with issue resolution concerning the day-to-day technical operation of the laboratory. Ensures that specimens are accessioned and processed expeditiously in order to deliver quality laboratory results in an effective and cost efficient manner.
This position is available for EITHER evenings or nights.
· Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going evaluations consisting of one or more of the following: skills, competency assessments and/or performance reviews
· Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
· Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities including organizing heavy work flow with minimal supervision
· Strong attention to detail and ability to achieve and maintain accuracy
· Demonstrates independent judgment and discretion to recognize problems, identify causes and take corrective action
· Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital/Laboratory Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and testing records and other related documents
· Demonstrates the ability to work independently with little or no direct supervision
· Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
· Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co- workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
–Additional information will be provided to qualified candidates–
- Includes normal hospital laboratory setting
- May include exposure to hazardous chemicals, blood borne pathogens and radiation
- Adherence to universal precautions is required
- Extended periods of standing and walking are required
- Able to flex hours and work other shifts to meet needs related to unanticipated events; meet operational needs
- Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Minimum of one (1) year of work or training experience in a hospital laboratory preferred
- Must meet certification eligibility upon hire and have one of the following required certifications within one year of employment
- Preferred – Certified as a Medical Technologist, Clinical Laboratory Scientist, Medical Laboratory Scientist, or categorical certification by Board of Certification (ASCP)
- o Certified as a Medical Technologist by American Medical Technologists (AMT)
- o Certified as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist by National Credentialing Agency for Laboratory Personnel (NCA)
- o HLA only – One of the following is required:§ Medical Technologist, MT(ASCP) or Medical Laboratory Scientist, MLS(ASCP) certification§ Certified by American Board of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (ABHI)o Microbiology only – One of the following is required:§ Medical Technologist, MT(ASCP) or Medical Laboratory Scientist, MLS(ASCP) certification
§ Microbiology, M(ASCP) certification
§ Clinical microbiology registry from American Society for Microbiology, RM(AAM)
The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
For consideration, please send us your CV/resume in MS Word format only. If there is a viable match, one of our consultants will contact you within 24-48 hours.
To ensure that our response to your application reaches your INBOX (not your “junk or spam folder”), please add our email address, jobs@VeritasConsultingLLC.com, to your “Safe Senders” list or to your Address Book.
Not the right job or location for you? Still contact us. We have access to hundreds of jobs across the country, many of which are not available on job boards. We welcome the opportunity to represent your talent.